I’d like to start a series of posts interviewing traders.
If you are a trader and would like to do this email interview (or know a trader that would), please answer the questions below and email them to me: sterlingterrellAToutlookDOTcom.
I will start it off, I suppose.
1. Who are you and how long have you been trading?
Sterling Terrell, and I have been trading futures for profit since 2014. I mostly just bought stocks and sat on them before that. With my dad’s help, I bought my first stock at the age of 13.
2. Where do you trade from (location)?
3. Who do you trade with (self, team, parent company)?
I trade alone with my own money. I do have the aid of a broker who helps me watch the market and places orders.
4. What markets do you trade?
I try to be diversified, but I have mostly traded sugar, cocoa, and cattle. Some years ago I traded physical cotton and worked as a series 3 broker. I am still registered as a CTA.
5. Without giving too much away, how do you trade?
Long-term trend following.
6. What was the best year you have had trading, and what caused it?
2015 was decent. I was up about 20 percent. I rode down a big fall in sugar prices.
7. What was the worst year you have had trading, and what caused it?
I don’t know. Since I have not been trading long, there is not much to choose from. In 2014 I was up about 7%.
8. Anything developing right now in the markets you are keeping your eye on?
No. I do not really pay attention to the daily ups and downs, or the market news.
9. If you weren’t trading, what would you be doing?
Probably writing, or working in insurance. I do both even now. I am also very interested in Marketing.
10. If you were giving a young trader, just starting out, advice today, what would it be?
Manage your risk. Manage your risk. Manage your risk.