Here are 6 great quotes about talking too much.
1. “Big words and promises mean nothing; only actions carry weight.”
2. “God’s Word has strong medicine for those who carelessly wag their tongues. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell (James 3;6). He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity (Proverbs 21:23). He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin (Proverbs 13:3). When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise (Proverbs 10:19).”
3. “And that’s what is so insidious about talk . Anyone can talk about himself or herself. Even a child knows how to gossip and chatter. Most people are decent at hype and sales. So what is scarce and rare? Silence. The ability to deliberately keep yourself out of the conversation and subsist without its validation. Silence is the respite of the confident and the strong.”
4. “Oysters open completely when the moon is full; and when the crab sees one it throws a piece of stone or seaweed into it and the oyster cannot close again so that it serves the crab for meat. Such is the fate of him who opens his mouth too much and thereby puts himself at the mercy of the listener. -Leonardo da Vinci, 1452-1519”
5. “Don’t say things. What you are…thunders so that I cannot hear what you say to the contrary. -Ralph Waldo Emerson”
6. “When you are trying to impress people with words, the more you say, the more common you appear, and the less in control. Even if you are saying something banal, it will seem original if you make it vague, open-ended, and sphinxlike. Powerful people impress and intimidate by saying less. The more you say, the more likely you are to say something foolish.”