I stumbled across these 12 writing tips and thought them worth sharing.
Don’t forget Still Writing.
But here are the 12:
1. The world suffers from overwriting more than under-writing.
2. Write in the active voice: no passivity, please.
3. Remember: No one has to read what we write.
4. Avoid particular phrases that are short on energy or evidence.
5. Avoid using often-abused words.
6. Pay particular attention to words that convey worldviews or beliefs.
7. Avoid common grammatical errors.
8. Avoid dangling participles.
9. Learn a publication’s editing shorthand.
10. Seek out teachers and editors willing to tell the truth, even if it hurts.
11. Keep your cool.
12. If in three years you are making progress, persevere.