I found this epic post by Jerry Saltz: How To Be An Artist.
Saltz lists and expands on 33 rules that will get you there.
If you want a creative life, do not miss reading this entire post.
Here are the bullet points:
- Don’t Be Embarrassed
- “Tell your own story and you will be interesting.” — Louise Bourgeois
- Feel Free to Imitate
- Art Is Not About Understanding. Or Mastery.
- Work, Work, Work
- Start With a Pencil
- Develop Forms of Practice
- Now, Redefine Skill
- “Embed thought in material.” — Roberta Smith
- Find Your Own Voice
- Listen to the Crazy Voices in Your Head
- Know What You Hate
- Compare Cats and Dogs
- Understand That Art Is Not Just for Looking At
- Learn the Difference Between Subject Matter and Content
- See As Much As You Can
- All Art Is Identity Art!
- All Art Was Once Contemporary Art
- Accept That You Will Likely Be Poor
- Define Success
- It Takes Only a Few People to Make a Career
- Learn to Write
- Artists Must Be Vampires
- Learn to Deal With Rejection
- Make an Enemy of Envy
- Having a Family Is Fine
- What You Don’t Like Is As Important As What You Do Like
- Art Is a Form of Knowing Yourself
- “Artists do not own the meaning of their work.” — Roberta Smith
- All Art Is Subjective
- You Must Prize Vulnerability
- Be Delusional
Now go make art!