Again, the idea of reciprocity and the power of giving is more than you can imagine.
Of course, there are financial limits to this at every level, but here are 7 ideas to make reciprocity part of your everyday life:
- Tip well.
- Give your boss a Christmas gift.
- Give your boss’s boss a Christmas gift.
- Go out to dinner with your in-laws and pick-up the check.
- Compliment your co-workers publicly.
- Give away books you no longer want.
- And compliment ALL women on their shoes, if the situation permits.
Reciprocity and the power of giving can make people act irrational. But this principle can be used to your advantage, if you think about it.
Be armed with this, but please be ethical.
What mountains are you about to move?
Understand: Gifts give you control..
One of the reasons reciprocation can be used so effectively as a device for gaining another’s compliance is its power. The rule possesses awesome strength, often producing a “yes” response to a request that, except for an existing feeling of indebtedness, would have surely been refused.
-Robert Cialdini, Influence