I didn’t even know to ask, What Is Sublimation? until I stumbled on this passage and discovered the definition.
Sublimation is when a solid directly becomes a gas, without ever becoming a liquid.
Honestly, I am not even sure I realized this was possible.
After reading about it there is a whole matrix of these transitions.
- Melting – Solid becoming a liquid
- Sublimation – Solid becoming a gas
- Freezing – Liquid becoming a solid
- Vaporization – Liquid becoming a gas
- Deposition – Gas becoming a solid
- Condensation – Gas becoming a liquid
And I didn’t even get into the state of plasma that includes recombination and ionization.
Ok, fine. But quickly:
- Recombination – Plasma becoming a gas
- Ionization – Gas becoming a plasma
Of course I never took a lot of traditional science classes in college.
It was all economics for me.
Ina dry wind like this, snow and ice can pass directly into the air as without having first melted to water. This process is called sublimation; tonight the snow in the yard and the ice in the creek sublime. a gas
-Annie Dillard, Pilgrim At Tinker Creek